Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Expendables


Star cast: Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Steve Austin, Mickey Rourke; Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger (both special appearances) and Dolph Lundgren, Eric Roberts, Randy Couture, Terry Crews.

Director : Sylvester Stallone

Genre : Action/Thriller

SynopsisA team of highly-trained, dangerous mercenaries are sent on a mission to a South American country, with the objective of overthrowing a cold-blooded dictator.

Review
i decided to watch this movie with a friend  of mine at Cathay Cineplex, E @ Curve last night. While I was waiting for the movie to start, I read on twitter about how bad this movie is. I almost fell for it and not going to watch it. So, I thought, we've got the tickets, why not? It won't be that bad.

Starting of the movie, it was gory ( Bullets, knives and bare hands fly in an incomprehensible vortex as arms and heads and body parts get thrown into the meleebut exciting. Through out the movie I realized the spotlight was on Stallone and Statham most of the time. What do you expect? Stallone is the director. Watching all these stars doing the action (yes, yes, they have stunt doubles), running, and still look good, I actually like it. It wasn't that bad after all. I like the part where Arnold Schwarzenegger made the special appearance. The script was hilarious with alpha male ego and sarcasm.

Behind all the actions, I like the summary of the movie. Doesn't mean dangerous mercenaries lost their soul. They are not cold blooded killer. I find it very human. Something different. Among all the actions, Statham's was the best. They still need an Asian and a black man to complete the movie. For the "heroin" stars by Giselle Itié as as Sandra, a young native woman and Garza's daughter (ruthless dictator played by David Zayas) looked so gorgeous and sexy for her first appearance, later on, I realized she's not even good looking but she fits the role as a native. Most of the casts has about 5-10 lines? Seriously, Stallone should not take all the lines as most of the stars are high profile actors.

Overall, I think this movie is alright. With Stallone's gun-emptying, blade-tossing, clandestine action flick "The Expendables" is great fun. If you want to watch it, I'd suggest to wait for the DV or Blu-ray quality. Below is the trailer. ;)




Rating : 6 / 10

No comments: